Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Flash 'n short

Ever since I've read Roald Dahl's short stories (Kiss Kiss, Switch Bitch...you name them) I have a special interest and love for his superb tales with a twist. It's clear why he named them 'Tales of Mystery and Imagination'.

There's a name for everything. Any writer has its own vocabulary, calling his short version fiction Postcard Fiction, Short Short Story or Flash Fiction. Apparently they have been known as Smokelong too as the time of reading was supposed to take as long as one cigarette. I only smoke small cigars, occassionally, so I can't tell you if it's true.

Clearly, writing short and flash fiction is part of the deal for me too. I write in a mix of science fiction, horror and mystery I used to call 'Twisted Tales'. That name appeared to be taken. So I came up with a new title 'Flash and Shorts'. Pretty much covers it all doesn't it?

I'm working on a monthly collection; the first edition scheduled for April. All of the shorts will also be available as standalone ebooks. So what's short and what's flash? Flash (Fiction) are very short stories of 500 - 1,500 words; Short (Fiction): 1,000 - 15,000 words. I published the first standalone today: 'Man on a Mission'. 

All FS fiction will be listed on a special page where you can read the synopsis and order any story as 'stand alone' ebook (only $ 2.99 / € 2.99 each). Please note the monthly collections will start in April; quarterly collections will be available starting July.